Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Let them eat cake!!

This summer I am trying something new. By new, I mean LOTS of cake recipes!! I had my mom's Cake Mix Doctor book. I have made a couple of the cakes, but it was not getting much use on the bookshelf. So for the first step of the Summer of Cakes, I paged through the book and tagged each recipe I thought sounded good. I was thinking I would be able to make 1-2 cakes a week for the summer and have tried them all. Alas, I will be baking cakes for the rest of the year possibly next year too!! LOL I have also devised a rating system and will post the results from each family member because we will all have a different opinion about each cake. The best part of baking all these cakes is seeing what Patrick will be willing to try....hahaha
I have not been grocery shopping for real since getting back from vacation, so I checked the book and my pantry and found a recipe I actually had the ingredients to make. The funny part is, it was a cake Joel was not sure he was going to like at all, and it only has 4 ingredients for the cake!! The glaze was very simple as well!! WINNER!!
Our rating system is as follows:
*****-Mom please, please, please make this cake again!
****-Mom, bake this cake once every few months.
***-Mom, this cake would be okay once a year.
**-Mom, if you never make this cake again, I'm cool with that.
*-Mom, ewwwwww, nasty!! Worse than your creative dinner ideas!!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake- So simple and so delicious!!
Joel-**** (WOW!! I was impressed with this rating!)
Me-****
Philip-****
Jayden-*****(No surprise here!)
Natalie-*****(She was also the apprentice baker on this one)
Patrick-*****(Rated before he even finished his first bite :))
If anyone would like for me to post the recipe along with the reviews, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake

    1 devil's food cake mix with pudding
    1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
    2 lg eggs
    1 t. pure almond extract

    Chocolate Glaze:

    1 c. sugar
    1/3 c. butter
    1/3 c. whole milk
    1 c. (6oz) semisweet chocolate chips

    Mix the cake mix, eggs, cherry pie filling and almond extract. Pour batter into a 9"x13" greased pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Place on a wire rack while mixing up the glaze.

    For the glaze, place the sugar, butter, and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Take the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips. When the chips are melted and the glaze smooth, pour over the warm cake. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting and serving.

    ReplyDelete